Dog gone : a lost pet's extraordinary journey and the family who brought him home / Pauls Toutonghi.
Saturday, October 10, 1998. Fielding Marshall is hiking on the Appalachian Trail. His beloved dog --a six-year-old golden retriever mix named Gonker -- bolts into the woods. Just like that, he has vanished. And Gonker has Addison's disease. If he's not found in twenty-three days, he will die. The search begins. Fielding and his father, John, are dispatched to the field. They have the family's other dog, Uli, in tow. Combing the trails, Fielding and his father bond like never before. Fielding's sister, Peyton, calls and talks him through some of his lowest moments. And -- at home -- Fielding's mother, Virginia, sets up a command center. Virginia becomes a field general. With a map and a phone book at her side, she contacts animal shelters, police precincts, general stores, community centers, newspapers, radio stations, churches, and park rangers. She is tireless. The local paper in Waynesboro, Virginia, writes a small story about the family's search. The story hits the AP newswire. Tips -- many of them of questionable authenticity -- pour in from across the country. But as the search continues, the Marshalls realize they may not survive losing Gonker. Even as the wounds of their past return to haunt them and threaten to jeopardize everything, they know they have one mission: bring Gonker home.
- ISBN: 9781410494009
- ISBN: 1410494004
- Physical Description: 311 pages (large print) : illustrations, map ; 23 cm.
- Edition: Large print edition.
- Publisher: Waterville, Maine : Thorndike Press, 2016.
- Copyright: ©2016
|Formatted Contents Note:|
Search for related items by subject
Pet loss > Virginia > Anecdotes.
|Genre:||Large type books.
Search for related items by series
- Thorndike Press large print popular and narrative nonfiction
- Thorndike Press large print popular and narrative nonfiction.
- 1 of 1 copy available at Consortium of Ohio Libraries. (Show)
- 1 of 1 copy available at Selover Library.
- 0 current holds with 1 total copy.